Pages

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Digerate, Digeracy/Digiracy, & Digital Literacy


Okay, so I've spent the past week looking at the word "literacy" and has it has transformed over time into the phrase digital literacy. However, through this new phase of digital literacy, or the "new" literacies, the words "digerate," "digeracy," and "digiracy" have been coined. How much did I find on it? Well, little to nothing. I found a lot on digital literacy, but it seems a majority of the world has not adapted to this new way of saying digital literacy.

I did find this really different site that talks about being "digerate." The entire site is based on stretch-text, which is a new form of writing I have discovered. I haven't decided whether or not I really like the idea of stretch-text. At this point in time, I'm leaning towards the side of it being annoying and slightly aggravating as I'm not 100% sure where the text is taking me. Anyway, off my rant. Click the screen shot to explore the website. I'm curious to see what other people think of this set up.


As I've been exploring the new terms for digital literacy, I have discovered that I am not that adventurous and will not jump on the bandwagon...well, what seems to be a very small bandwagon. I, honestly, don't like the terms "digerate," "digeracy," and "digiracy." I feel that if it's not broken, don't fix it, and "digital literacy" has been doing a darn good job at describing...well...digital literacy. I feel that these "other" terms are doing the phrase an injustice. Is it really that hard to say digital literacy that it needs to be shortened? Okay, I'm ending my little tirade.

What I think is happening is that people think blending two words into one is a great idea. However, not everything needs to be one word. For some things it works, but for others it doesn't. Our language may become quite morphed if we continue to lean toward phrases modulating into one word. I say just leave it as digital literacy and bury "digerate," "digeracy," and "digiracy." I know this is just an opinion after doing research on the history of the word, but I'm entitled to my opinion, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment